Thursday, February 3, 2011

What's up, Chuck?

OK.  So I guess it's inevitable, certain things are just going to happen to you as a parent.  It's these common experiences that, I'm finding out, are the subtext to the knowing looks shared between parents that I've seen my whole life.  Two guys at the the coffee shop on a random Thursday: "Do you have kids?" "Yeah? Then you know what I'm talking about."  Wink, wink.  Nudge, nudge.  Say no more.


After just two weeks of parenthood Dawn and I already have a modest collection of these experiences under our belt.  No more than 2 1/2 hours of sleep at a time for almost 3 weeks (and counting): check.  Been peed on: check.  Held a baby up and sniffed it's butt to see if it had dirty diapers: check.  And now, on different occasions during the same 12 hour period we both have been baptised into, yet, one more common parenthood experience.  And by baptised, I'm not talking holy water, more like an entire freshly filled stomach full of curdled mother's milk.

Who me?

My personal experience was at 4 am Tuesday night when, after changing li'l h following a big feeding, I thought it would be a good idea to lay him on my chest, face down, and try to gently rock him to sleep.  Simple physics would tell me this was a bad idea, but I just wanted to go to sleep as quickly as possible.  Wouldn't you know, a few minutes into it, three enormous heaves, and out comes all of what just went in... on me, on my pillow, and all over the sheets, necessitating an early morning shower and bedding change.

I did what?

Dawn's inaugural dowsing came at much less fault of her own.  She was merely trying to burp little man over her shoulder when the fountain started.  Drenching her black shirt, and leaving a delicious pool of liquid treats on the floor for the dogs.

I'm so embarrassed.

These will be, of course, forgettable incidents when looking back in a few years, and will surely be dwarfed by many and more calamitous baby disasters, but for now they are our most memorable.

Bonus video footage of furry and not-so-furry Freemans:

*A note on comments.  It has come to my attention that some of our beloved "Followers" have been having trouble posting comments.  I'm looking into it and will hopefully have it remedied soon.  We love feedback.

4 comments:

  1. oh my gosh, the embarrassed photo is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When Henrik puts his little arms up at the end of the film clip, he looks as if he wants to start conducting the orchestra, like the little boy in the video I sent you this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i was going to say two thumbs up but in reality eight paws up to fran and farleigh for being so gosh darned sweet with henrik!

    loving the posts. keep them up!

    lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, Love, Love!!! He's so beautiful! What a sweet little smile emerging too. I'm 'following' your blog now, can't wait to hear more...keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete